- 1 (16 oz.) package dried navy beans, soaked overnight according to package directions, drained, and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- ½ cup chopped peeled carrot (2 carrots)
- ½ cup chopped celery (3 celery stalks)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large, meaty roasted ham bone
Rinse beans and drain. Sort any unwanted debris and set seasoning packet aside.
Place beans, onions, ham bone (or diced ham), broth/water, garlic and chili powder in a 6qt slow cooker.
Cook on high 5 hours (or low for 7-8) or until beans are tender.
Once tender, remove the hambone (if used) and chop any meat left on the bone and add it back to the pot.
Stir in diced tomatoes, Ham Flavor packet, and lemon juice.
Cook for additional 30 minutes.