1 & 3/4 cups flour (cake or all purpose)
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 & 1/2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp red food colouring
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 & 1/2 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl mix sugar and oil . Then add vanilla and eggs . Mix well.
2. Add buttermilk . Mix , then add red food colouring. Mix . Sift in flour , bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder, salt .Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
3. Add white vinegar then gently mix .
Line a square cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with butter or oil .Pour the batter (mixture).
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 Degrees Celsius for 40 minutes or until well baked( depending on your oven).
This mixture is enough to be divided into 2 small pans .
5. Let the cake cool off completely before you frost it.
After frosting , cut it into squares. Trim the edges of the cake and use the crumbles to sprinkle on top of the cake after frosting.
Note* The making of red velvet cake is scientific . One mistake everything can go wrong . DO NOT substitute or leave out any ingredient. Use the ones listed above . Yes , you do need both buttermilk and vinegar when making red velvet cake .
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
1/2 cup unsalted butter(room temp)
227g cream cheese (room temp)
3 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
Beat the butter until it’s light and fluffy.
Add the cream cheese and beat for 2 minutes. Then add vanilla, salt and sifted icing sugar (1 cup at a time).
Beat until you get a smooth flawless consistency.